Bonefish & Tarpon Unlimited
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonefish & Tarpon Unlimited

An online community meeting place for members of Bonefish and Tarpon Unlimited

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Keys

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TBone
Crash Test Dummy

The Keys Empty
PostSubject: The Keys   The Keys EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 5:08 pm

I personally love fishing in the Keys. I haven't gotten a chance to go many other places. I have a friend that goes to Belize frequently. He loves it there. What are some other nice spots? What's so great about them?
Back to top Go down
JD

JD

The Keys Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Keys   The Keys EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 10:02 am

TBONE;
I'm like you. I fish around Marathon every chance I get. I know that I am in the minority around here as I fish under the bridges with live bait and a bait caster. I get a real thrill fighting Tarpon up close and personal around the bridges.
Later---JD
Back to top Go down
pisco

pisco

The Keys Empty
PostSubject: Belize   The Keys EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 10:24 am

I made my first trip to Belize this past April. It was awesome! First permit, all the bones you wanted to catch, giant and baby tarpon, snook, cudas, cobia, big jacks, tripletail...We stayed at Belize River Lodge and I highly recommend it.
Pisco
Back to top Go down
Mick Kolassa

Mick Kolassa

The Keys Empty
PostSubject: Non-Keys fishing   The Keys EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 2:37 pm

Although the Keys are home to the biggest bonefish and amazing tarpon, Belize offers more bonefish (that are less pressured and therefore more approachable and catchable) and probably even better shots at tarpon - the downside is getting there. It's really the lack of pressure on this fishery that makes it special. Also, Belize just made bonefish, tarpon, and permit catvch and release only, which will make the fishery even better.

There are several great lodges with very different options. Those out on the islands (Turneffe and Ambergris) have access mostly to flats - lots of bones, mostly smaller tarpon, and lots of permit. Those on the mainland have those plus more shots at giant tarpon (especially around the mouth of the Belize River) and better chances for snook.

I recommend trying both options and finding which ones suit you best.
Back to top Go down
TBone
Crash Test Dummy

The Keys Empty
PostSubject: Belize and the Keys   The Keys EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 3:32 pm

I'm hoping to go to Belize this spring, and I'm fairly certain I'll be staying at the Belize River Lodge, so I'm glad to hear a recommendation for them. I know they are involved with BTU, so it'll be great to see what they've got there.

JD - nothing wrong with bait, in my opinion. I learned to bait a hook when I was four, I didn't start with flies until much later, so I have a soft spot for the real deal. I do love the skill involved in fishing with flies, though. The drawback, of course, is the skill - I don't fish often enough and so that skill has to be re-learned from time to time. I know the solution though - Fish more!!
Back to top Go down
Mick Kolassa

Mick Kolassa

The Keys Empty
PostSubject: Fishing Methods   The Keys EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 12:48 pm

JD, I thought I'd let you that you are in good company when it comes to fishing with bait, in fact over 35% of BTU members prefer fishing with something other than fly tackle. It's the thrill of the hunt and the fight that matter, and protecting the fish and their habitat.
Back to top Go down
JD

JD

The Keys Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Keys   The Keys EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 3:45 pm

Mick Kolassa wrote:
JD, It's the thrill of the hunt and the fight that matter, and protecting the fish and their habitat.

WELL SAID MICK!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Keys Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Keys   The Keys Empty

Back to top Go down

The Keys
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bonefish & Tarpon Unlimited :: Chat :: Destination Conversations-
Jump to: